Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Sweet Girls

The other night I spent two hours awake in the middle of the night with Gwen because she was sick and throwing up. I really think it was the ton of grapes that she had been eating all day. She woke up screaming for me and when I went into her room I could smell the vomit. She's super sweet when she's sick. I took her into the bathroom to clean her up and she started to throw up again so I had her do it in the toilet. She stuck her entire little head in the bowl and when she was done she looked up at me and said "I don't like it in here, Mommy." I rubbed her back and told her she was going to be okay. Luckily, I have some left-over nausea medicine from my pregnancy and it's safe for kids. I gave her a half a dissolvable pill and we went downstairs to snuggle and watch Annie together. It's one of her new favorite shows. She loves to pretend that she's Annie and I usually get to be Ms. Hannigan or if I'm really lucky, her dog, Sandy. We ended up just watching all the musical numbers and snuggled under her favorite Cookie Grandma blanket as we waited for the vomiting to go away. Finally, after about another half hour or so I asked her how she was feeling and in her little 2-year-old understanding and limited vocabulary she tried to explain to me that she was feeling better by saying "my sick went bye-bye." I thought that was such a cute way to put it.

It is so wonderful and amazing to watch my little girls develop each and every day. I love watching them learn to put things together and figure out new things. Emily turns 5 months-old in two more days. She's a great sleeper and absolutely the cutest little morning person ever. She goes to sleep each night right around 7:30 and then I get her up when I get home from work to feed her around 11:00 and she sleeps until about 4 or 5 in the morning and wants a snack - not even a complete feeding. She wakes up for good around 6:30 or 7:00 and sits in her crib babbling and squealing. It would be even cuter if she wasn't in our room with us waking us up. She says "Dadadada" already so this morning I woke up Jonathan and told him that she was calling for him so he had to be the one to get up with her. He did and I got to sleep in until 9:00 - sort-of. I did have to get up and feed Emily at 8:00 although I've gotten good at being mostly asleep for that too.

I put my foot down and refused to let Jonathan buy more Pull-ups for Gwen. It seems that when she wears them that she treats them like a diaper and is too lazy to use the potty. If she's wearing her panties she does much better at using the potty. So, Gwen's officially not in diapers or training pants during daytime hours anymore! We'll see how long that lasts. I did have them go pick out more pairs of big girl panties since we sometimes go through two or three a day. She does really well when I'm home with her. Probably because I'm insisting that she sit on the potty every few hours. When I leave for work, Jonathan has been much more relaxed about the issue and he usually gets caught up in his own business and forgets to remind her. Some days she does wonderful and will do it all by herself and other times she has accidents. Do you ever get to a point where you're not having to constantly worry about them having accidents or reminding them to use the potty? I guess you do, since my mother doesn't have to call me at work and remind me, but it feels like I'm going to be doing this for a while.

1 comment:

chrisandlaura96 said...

Oh, I love your sweet little girls too. It's so fun to hear about them and everything they are doing. I guess you know you really love someone when you even think hearing about them puking is adorable. That is so cute what Gwen said about not liking it in the toilet! I'm glad she got better pretty fast. I wonder if my Dr. would prescribe me some of that anit-nausea stuff to keep on hand?
-Laura