Saturday, January 8, 2011

Catching a Break




Well, Emily won the prestigious award of being the first grandchild on the Buckholts' side with a broken bone. Last night when I was getting ready for work she was busy going through all my drawers in my bedroom. Before I realized it, she had pulled out all the drawers in our 6 drawer high very heavy dresser and it began to tip over on top of her. I lunged for her and grabbed her arms to pull her out of the way but the whole weight of it landed on her right leg. It was terrifying to sit there and try to calm her as I realized that it could have been so much worse if I hadn't been there to pull her mostly out of the way.

She didn't get away unscathed though. As the rest of the night went on it became more and more apparent that her leg wasn't okay. I kept hoping that it was sprained or bruised. It wasn't too tender when I touched it or swollen or misshapen or anything like that. She even went to bed without a fuss. The only thing was that if she tried to put any weight on that right leg she would crumple and cry. Well, as I said, I had to run off to work and try to focus on my patients while every fiber of me wanted to be home holding Emily. I made it through the night and in the morning called to check on her with one last hope that Jonathan would report that she was happily skipping about her room with no pain. That was not the case as I listened to her sleepy voice on the other end of the phone cry out in pain as she tried to just kneel on that leg. I told my work I might not be there for my shift that night and took off home to comfort her and take her in to the doctor.

We went to the Granger Medical Clinic which felt so strange because I really wanted to take her to see the doctors that I worked with at the KidsCare. Unfortunately, my insurance does not feel the same way and will not pay for their superior care. Really, GMC was fine, it just didn't feel like home. Emily screamed through the entire exam, x-ray, and splinting but was fine in between when I got to just hold her and love her.

After the doctor's, Jonathan and I decided that it would probably be wise for me to go into work because we're going to have to pay our entire deductible for this accident (at least we're getting it out of the way early this year). I headed over to Grandma's to sleep for the afternoon. Grandma and Gwen spent the day cleaning her house and running errands, which she loved and wouldn't stop talking about - thank you Grandma! Emily got to spend the day scooting around the living room at home getting one-on-one care from her Daddy.

We're going to get through this first big family milestone without too many hitches I think. Thanks to everyone who has expressed love and concern and who has been thinking and praying for Emily. We'll post pics when she gets her cast on Monday.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Oh! I can't believe I've made it into motherhood 8.5 years now and this hasn't happened to me yet!! There are so many incidents when it could/should have in the blink of an eye just like this!
I'm kindof glad it happened to you first because I think you are better equiped to handle it. This way, when it happens to all of the rest of us and we call you for advice, you'll know even more what to tell us!
I bet that was hard going to work when you didn't want to! There you are being super mom again and "taking one for the team!" I'm sure it was harder for you than for Emily...
:)
I admire you!
Linda

chrisandlaura96 said...

I'm so glad everything is kind of, sort of, mostly ok. Poor little Emily...we will definitely pray for her little leg and for all of your sanities while you get through this! You are one tough Mama and I love and admire you!
-Laura