Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Internet of Doom

So, I'm finally giving in and getting the internet in my home. It's being installed tomorrow. This after a vow to NEVER have the cursed thing in my home again. Hopefully I have learned from my past and will be able to enjoy the internet's better qualities without having to worry so much about the evils that lie within. Jonathan needed internet access for school. Sure, he could keep doing what he's been doing and go to school and use their computers, but he can't take Gwen along. That means that I would have to stay awake and watch her while he was away working on assignments - and let's be honest, goofing off for hours each week. I've been picking up extra shifts at work to help pay for school. This means that I've been extra short on sleep which makes me extra grumpy. The one good thing about getting internet access is that Jonathan will be able to stay home and keep an eye on Gwen while he works on his school work and I will be able to get those few precious hours of sleep that I need.

I'm still worried though. I know there's a great potential for abuse with the internet. Not only content, but also wasted time. As soon as the connection is up and running we are installing this security system. It's free and recommended by the FBI and a good friend of mine's stake president got up in their stake conference and told all the members to install it ASAP on their computers and make sure only the wives knew the passwords and had control over usage. One of the best parts about it is that I can limit the amount of time we waste on the internet. I'm hoping that this is the solution I've been waiting for.

No comments: