Thursday, July 5, 2007

3rd and 4th of July

Our celebration for the 4th of July last two days this year. On the 3rd of July we went to Taylorsville Dayzz (yes the two z's are there on purpose). There were booths set up with different companies giving stuff away, having drawings, or hawking their wares. I got a free back massage and spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out ways to sneak back for another one because it felt so good. I may have to break down and pay for a real one someday. Jonathan picked up a silly hat that looks like the Statue of Liberty's crown. Gwen took a nap and missed all the fun for a while but woke up in time to try her first sno cone, which she didn't like because it was too cold.

We met my parents and my niece, Samantha, there for the Utah Symphony's free concert in the park. We sat on a blanket and Gwen "sang" along to the music and crawled all over her cousin and us. Sam jumped around and danced. We all ate too much cotton candy and enjoyed the music in our sugar-induced high. As a finale they did the 1812 Overture with real canons. Gwen wasn't scared at all.

After the concert we went back to Grandma's house for fireworks. We had made sure not to get any of the loud annoying ones. Gwen thought they were pretty neat and babbled about them. The last one we did had loud pops at the end and Gwen didn't like that as much. She held onto Grandma and complained "mama".

We got up early the morning of the 4th because we were having a breakfast with my mom's siblings and their kids at the gazebo at our condos. We helped set everything up and had a yummy breakfast and got to see my cousins that I hadn't seen since last year. After breakfast, Gwen and her cousins went swimming at the pool. Gwen amazed all my sisters with her increasing water skills. Everyone was pretty worn out after swimming so we all went to our homes. Gwen and I took a much needed nap while Jonathan had the afternoon to himself.

Gwen's first time on the big swings the morning of the 4th.

I had to go to work that night, so my celebration ended with my nap. Jonathan took Gwen and went with my parents up to Layton to see the fireworks and listen to the concert in the park up there. Gwen had more fun with her cousins but fell asleep in the middle of the big fireworks. I guess I didn't need to be worried about her being scared of them after all. It was a fun celebration and I'm grateful for the time I had to spend with my family. I'm so thankful for this nation and all the freedoms that we enjoy and take for granted.

No comments: