Thursday, August 9, 2007

I Got It!

No, not the flu, the new/old job at the InstaCare that I applied for recently! They called this morning and offered it to me but with a significant pay cut from what I'm making now. I told them that I needed to make at least what I am now and that it was a deal breaker if they couldn't do that. I told them that with my five years of InstaCare experience and with the staff there already behind me and supporting me, I was the perfect nurse for the job; requiring little training and already familiar with the job. The recruiter told me that she didn't know if it was possible to pay me what I wanted and that they only counted my two years of experience as a nurse. I insisted that the staff there was already hoping to work with me and that I would be the best candidate for the job but that I needed to be paid my current rate or it wouldn't happen. She told me to think about it and she'd see what she could do and get back to me.

After I hung up with her I laid there in bed - I had worked the night before - and had a small panic attack. I really wanted this job and I thought that putting up a fight for my pay might have cost me, no pun intended. I talked it through with Jonathan and decided that the pay cut was a big deal and I was right to stick to my guns. Everything I had said was true and if they were too dumb to see that I was the nurse they need there, then I'd keep working at my current job and just make do. I went to sleep and actually slept pretty good. The recruiter called back at 4:00 and told me that she had gotten the okay to pay me what I'm currently making. So, now I have a new job. It's the job I had 3 years ago at 3 times what I was making then. It means no more graveyard shifts and no more 12 hours of being a glorified waitress or cleaning up poo. It's working with doctors that I like and having a five minute commute. I start in two weeks and I can hardly wait. After three years, it's like going back home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I am very happy for you!!!!

Turbo said...

That is exceedingly awesome! I remember how much you enjoyed that job so I'm glad you're going back. Congrats!

Joel said...

Remind me to send you in my place next time I need to negotiate a car price. Or use the word "poo."

Lisa said...

AWESOME!!! Congrats! Its important to be working at a place you like.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got a job you enjoy and the pay. There is no way you should have to take a pay cut.

Anonymous said...

Yea Krista! I'm so glad you got it and that they are going to make it so that you can afford to switch. Way to be courageous asking for what you need. You are amazing...
-Laura