Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yay for summer!

I'm so excited that it's officially summer now. You wouldn't know it by how busy we've been at work though. The swine flu is hitting our area pretty hard right now. It's made us even busier than our usual flu season. Instead of our usual calm slower summertime numbers of patients, we're having two-hour waits all day long. So, if you think you have swine flu, which would be a sudden onset of fever, cough, body aches, sore throat and maybe vomiting, please just stay home and take care of yourself. There's not much the doctor can do to help you. Rest, fluids, treat the fever with tylenol or motrin and stay way from the public for about 5 days or until the fever's completely gone for 24 hours. There's also not much you can do to keep from getting it. Wash your hands and stay away from other sick people. I actually think that Jonathan probably had swine flu last month when he was so sick and he got through it just fine. Anyway, I really hope that none of you get it. The one good thing about the flu is that Jonathan has been substitute teaching a lot recently. That's been really good since his census job is all done with. We're still looking for a job for him for the summer so if anyone has any ideas, we're more than willing to listen.
So, I've mentioned to some people that I try to get out and do something fun with my girls each day. It doesn't have to be something huge. I think it probably has to do with my underlying guilt that I'm not around in the evenings and want to make it up to them by being more active with them when I am around. Also, I've found that it's better to do active things with Gwen then to let her sit in front of the TV all day. It makes us both happier. Well, some of the fun places we go are: the gym, Liberty Park, Sugarhouse Park, Wheeler Farm, the aquarium, or our swimming pool. We've already been swimming half a dozen times. Gwen's so good at it too. I can't wait for some of her cousins to come go with us.
At Liberty Park they have some of the old kiddie rides up and running. They have this old carousel that Gwen loves to ride. She'll pick her favorite color of the day and ride that horsey. She calls it the "up down round and round."They had these exact cars when I was little. They look like it too. Jonathan loves that Gwen recognized the Batman car and wanted to ride it instead of the pink one.They also have a big playground with a water area. Gwen was scared to get wet at first, but you see that she got over that pretty quickly.
Monday, we went to the zoo again. We had gone with my sister and her family on Memorial Day but it was so packed that we didn't get to see or do much. This time we made sure to watch the bird show and see more animals.





1 comment:

Heidi said...

That is cute about BATMAN. I can't believe all this swine flu stuff, but it is funny how it isn't in the news anymore. Really not that big of a deal. However, I DID clean all the nursery toys last Sunday. They haven't been cleaned in probably over a year. YUCK! We are a little sick up here, nothing big, just runny noses. We can't wait to come down and go swimming too!