Friday, August 28, 2009

WCCs

That's Well Child Checks for those of you that don't speak "doctor". Both Gwen and Emily had their check-ups done yesterday. Here's the info for those of you who might care:

Emily weighs 14# 15 oz. That's on the 30% for weight. She's 27 1/2 inches long so 96% for height. That puts her at a 1% for height vs. weight which they use as an indicator of obesity. She's not at all like her big sister which we shall see next. She's right on track as far as milestones go like sitting up all by her big self and rolling over. She also made great eye contact with the doctor and laughed at him. That's encouraging as far as autism goes.

Gwen weighs 37#. That's on the 92% for weight. She's 37 inches tall so 67% for height. On the height vs. weight she's a whopping 96%. That means she's a bit tubby and will be considered obese if she tops over 100% at her check-up next year. What that means to me as her nurse and mommy: she needs to stop snacking and move more. It's so hard in these days and times to try to teach a little impressionable girl to be healthy and not obsessed about her body. I hope that she will see my example and want to be like me. She's already got to fight against genetics, so I hope I can give her the confidence to be active and to enjoy her chubby body. My mom is getting her dance lessons for her birthday and we're going to get her into tumbling too. Not only will she get the benefit of moving around more and developing her muscles and skills, she'll get to make more friends and learn to listen to instructions. I'm also excited to meet other moms with kids her age.

The very best part of the visit was when they gave Gwen a paper gown to wear and she put it on and started to twirl around with it with her cute little bottom showing out the back. The doctor came in the room and remarked that he hadn't seen anyone model the gown so beautifully before. Gwen looked at him with a serious expression and said: "I'm a princess." He even let her take the gown home and she wore it all evening.

1 comment:

chrisandlaura96 said...

I'm giggling right now. I love that story about twirling around in her paper princess dress. Definitely one to keep for later. She will think it's hilarious when she's grown up and having to wear the same "gown"! I just love Gwen. It was so fun to be with her at her party yesterday. I am totally amazed with her and eveything about her. She's beautiful, charming, funny, unique, so fun to be around and to top it all one heck of a fish! You, Jonathan, and Gwen totally inspired me about swiming. Noah should/could be so much more comfortable, confident, safe, and have more fun if he had more experience around a pool and a mommy who wasn't so afraid of the water. I came home telling Chis all about it and how amazing she is. We decided he's going to take Noah to the pool all by himself more often so Noah can be a fish too! Love you!
P.S. I loved seeing Emily too! It's so awesome that she's sitting up so well now and so interactive!