Tuesday, July 6, 2010

June's Over?

Jonathan and his favorite cousin Josh who lives here in Salt Lake and drove up to speak at the funeral. They have a beautiful 6 month old little girl.
Emily and Gwen eating their funeral lunch provided by the local Relief Society. It was yummy.

Daddy's birthday cake. Gwen helped me a lot with it this year.

Gwen and Emily blogging about their days.

Wow, that went by quickly. So, looking back at my month of June this year I realize that I REALLY love summer. It feels like this is the time of year that I finally come alive. All winter long I just mope around inside trying to get through the cold and the dark. Summer is so fun. I spend so much time outside with my family doing fun things like the zoo, lagoon, swimming, or going to the park. I love it. It's like I have to squish in all the fun things I can so that I can make it through the long days of winter ahead. Jonathan's kind of the opposite of me. He loves the snow and cold and can't stand it when it's too hot. He never really got the snow when he was growing up in California so it still seems magical to him although he doesn't like to drive in it.

Well, anyway, this last month Jonathan celebrated his 31st birthday. Most of my family was out of town, so we just did fun things with our little family. We like to have "Birthday weeks". We celebrate our birthdays for a week instead of just one day. All week we try to nice things for the birthday person and spend extra time with them. This year we spent a day at Lagoon doing their water park since Jonathan loves water parks and I don't. We hadn't been to one together so it was about time. The kids love splashing around in the kiddie area and Jonathan got to ride all the slides while I watched the kids. The only down side was when someone stole Emily's shoes. Who steals a baby's shoes? That's just plain mean. On his actual birthday we ate fancy expensive hamburgers for lunch and then my dad took Jonathan out to a movie while I baked his cake and watched the girls. Hmmm, maybe there's a theme here of me watching the girls while Jonathan gets to do the fun things? Why not, it was his birthday week.
Later that month, Jonathan's last living grandparent, his Grandma Olsen passed away. I was able to get a day off work and we all drove up to Worland Wyoming for the funeral. It was a 10 hour car ride that I'm not anxious to ever repeat. The girls did great it was just so long and boring. It was nice to get to see some more of Jonathan's side of the family though. The girls love their Cookie Grandma and getting to see her for a couple days was their favorite part.

We just celebrated Independence Day and this year it was on a Sunday which in Utah means that the celebrating gets pushed to Saturday and Monday because not many people do anything on Sunday. We didn't do anything too big because Gwen is terrified of fireworks. We went to Murray City parade on Saturday morning and that was fun. We also had dinner with all my sisters and their kids on Sunday.

1 comment:

chrisandlaura96 said...

I totally know what you mean about making it through the winter so we can get to the summer. I was just saying to Chris the other day that I wish summer lasted all year long. I love the warmth, the light, and how there are sooo many things to do. Speaking of, can't wait to see you at Lagoon today! So fun!
-Laura