Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Not Too Bad

I was worried, but this having two kids isn't too bad so far. Emily is remarkably easy-going. This whole newborn thing is easier this time around . . . as far as I remember. It might also be that I'm more easy-going this time around. I refuse to wake Emily up every few hours to eat. Instead, I feed her when she's hungry and leave her alone pretty much the rest of the time. Last night, she only woke up twice. Once at midnight and once at about 3:30 am. It was the best night ever except that the second time she woke up she wanted to be awake for a while. I ended up just bringing her back into bed with me and fell asleep holding her. Yeah, yell at me if you want, but Gwen slept in my bed the first six months of her life. It made it really hard to move her over to a crib when it was time, so I won't be dong that again, but I figure if once in a while I share my bed with the baby it will be okay.When she has access to her hands Emily loves to suck on her fingers or thumbs. The trouble is that she usually ends up scratching herself and making herself mad.Gwen holding Emily while watching Elmo on tv. We were so worried that she would be jealous of the baby, but so far she just wants to be our big helper and give her lots of kisses and cuddles.

We had to go see our pediatrician yesterday to get Emily's billirubin level checked. It turned out just fine so she'll be losing her fake tan look pretty soon. She feeds like a pro and has been pooping more so that usually helps their billirubin level go down faster. We've also been able to get out in the sun the last two days. It's been less than a week since Emily was born and I've only been home for three days, but I'm already going stir crazy. This morning I just had to get out some of my light hand weights and resistance bands and do some exercises and stretching. It felt so good and I've only needed motrin for pain since yesterday. This afternoon we went to play in the park area near here and to fly Gwen's Elmo kite. We bought a baby sling for Emily and she does great in it, until it's time to eat, of course. Besides being ready for a nap, I feel great even after all that.
Where's Emily? This is what she looks like from my point of view when she's in her baby sling. Seems really comfy to me.Gwen pushing Mommy and Emily in the swing. What a fun and warm afternoon we had today. It does not feel like February weather.Gwen flying high in the swing. She loves it and is great at holding on tight. Boot loves to dig in the dirt. The play area is all sand so she had a blast going from spot to spot and digging big holes. We had less fun following around behind her filling them back up.
A little bit of a long video with us kite flying today. We'd been out for almost 1 1/2 hours by this time and at the end Emily started to wake up so we had to end it.

Gwen and Daddy find the silliest things to do to keep themselves busy. No one can make Gwen laugh like her Daddy can. Uh, sorry the video's sideways, I couldn't figure out how to fix that. Just turn your head sideways to watch it.


2 comments:

chrisandlaura96 said...

I'm so glad everything is going good! I'm excited to try a sling for our second baby too. I'm glad you guys are getting so much time together to get used to being a family of 4.
-Laura

Anonymous said...

They're so sweet :) Little babies are so much fun. I knew Jonathan would make a great dad :)