Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Deja vu

So, it would seem that Jonathan and I are just not very creative people. This year for our 5th wedding anniversary we did the EXACT same thing that we did last year. Well, I had something bigger planned but then life happened and although it turns out that we both had the night off, we didn't really have the funds to do anything near what I had been thinking. Our first plan for the evening was to sit at home with the girls and then watch a movie together after they went to bed. This is not entirely different from any other evening this last month. Then we got in the mail some anonymous money (from the people at my ex-work I'm sure) and suddenly we had a little bit of money to be able to have a fun evening out.

Like I said, we're just not that creative, so we went to the State Fair like last year. It was so much fun though. Since I knew it was the only fun thing that we were going to do for our big 5 year anniversary I felt more willing to spend a little bit of money - thank you whoever at InstaCare sent it. We ate deep fried snickers and oreos - it's not as bad as it sounds think doughnut with candy inside. We saw all the animals and Emily would not stop petting them and kissing them, I'm surprised she didn't get sick from all the germs she must have picked up from them. We even stayed for the rodeo which the girls loved. The girls had a blast doing the little helping hands part where they pretend to be farmers. It was the first time Emily was big enough to do something like that and she loved it. She watched big sister Gwen do all the steps and then put her own little Emily flare on it.
I love that Gwen has to dress up everywhere we go. She has to be a princess even when we're going to the fair. She now picks out her outfit to match whoever she's going to be that day. This outfit was supposed to be Princess Tiana from Princess and the Frog and she wanted me to put her hair in a bun. Well, I tried to twist it into a bun and it fell out making it a ponytail and she had a fit. I need someone to give me princess hair classes.
Emily loves being a big kid. She's starting to "talk" more and more. Usually she just copies the tones and inflections of the words we use. She mostly babbles still but it sounds like sentences or phrases. She learned to say sticker and baa and neigh at the fair. Sure, she can say sticker but not please. I think she's just fooling us.
Gwen wanted to plant a tomato this year because she felt they were they best out of all the veggies to choose from. Emily would not plant anything other than a tomato because she wanted to be just like Gwen.
This is Emily saying "cheese" for the camera. She'd never done that before. I love this picture because it does look "cheesy".

My favorite part of the Fair was the rodeo that night. I used to work the rodeos in Draper and Riverton when I was an EMT and I loved them. I guess a part of me likes the violence and the danger of it. Gwen loved the rodeo queen and all the cowboys were wearing pink to support breast cancer awareness. The first event we watched was bareback broncos. I told Gwen that it was a contest between the cowboys and the horses. We loved cheering for whoever won, the horses or the cowboys, and she loved that the cowboys had to hold on so tight with only one hand. We then watched the rest and she was glued to each event. They even had mutton bustin' which is where parents put their little kids on a sheep and see how long they can hold on before falling off. Gwen was so sad when I explained to her that she couldn't have a chance to ride the sheep. She thought it looked like so much fun. You have to enter a lottery and be there each night for your chance to ride because I guess there's a lot of parents wanting to torture their children. Next year she'll probably weigh too much, so I guess we're out of luck. I promised her that she could ride a sheep if we ever get one as a pet. That's not going to happen but it made her feel better.

2 comments:

chrisandlaura96 said...

That's awesome! What a fun night. I'm so glad you guys had a good anniversary. Five years, that's big. I love that Gwen was so into the rodeo, that she wanted to do the muttin bustin', and that she dresses up everywhere she goes. She's got so much personality! And Emily is so wonderful too. Hope your new job is going good. I need to call you and get an update. Love you!
-Laura

Anonymous said...

So fun! I'm glad you got to do something fun for your anniversary. How nice of your old work friends!
The girls are sooo cute! I love the baby babble too.
Linda