Monday, September 22, 2008

The Dentist

I've been meaning to make this post all week, but then Jonathan got really sick and you know how that goes. He's doing a bit better now. Now that it's been almost 10 days of fevers over 103 and not being able to eat anything harder than pudding, his body is beginning to fight this "whatever-crazy-virus-thingy".

Well, anyway, last week I had an appointment for our little family to go to the dentist. I don't mind the dentist. I think that after a dozen years of dealing with orthodontics dentists are a piece of cake. At least they're not shoving tight fitting braces onto your teeth until you bleed so much you want to throw up. I actually think it's relaxing. Jonathan has different ideas. He rarely saw a dentist when growing up because he'd throw a fit. He has awful dental habits and his teeth really show that. He's MUCH better since he married me. I'm somewhat of a Nazi about our teeth, but he still has lots of room for improvements.

Since Jonathan was running fevers and couldn't even really open his mouth, we canceled his appointment and I took Gwen to our dentist alone. This was her second visit. Her first was at 14 months old and she just sat on our tummies and watched them clean our teeth, then they gave her a toothbrush and watched her brush and called it good. That's what I was expecting this time around but it was not so. At first she sat on my legs - my tummy doesn't like to be sat on these days - and watched them clean my teeth. Then a dental assistant came and got her and took her away to her own room to clean her teeth. I was dying. I wanted so badly to get up and go watch, but they were still doing the polishing on my teeth. I could hear them in the other room though. They put Finding Nemo on the TV and let Gwen pick out her new toothbrush I thought it was a tiger or lion because she kept roaring (she picked a Tigger toothbrush out). When they finished with my teeth I couldn't bare it anymore and had to go see how she was doing. She was just laying back in the chair letting them brush he teeth as she watched Nemo with the headphones on. She kept pointing and asking "whatzat?" and the poor assistant had to keep looking up at the TV to figure out what she meant. Then they tried to use the suction thingy on her and she wouldn't let them. She swallowed the toothpaste instead and declared that she was "Done!". The dentist came in and looked in her mouth for a second and said that her teeth looked really good except that her spacing is pretty close. Most likely, she's going to need braces later. It was so fun to watch her be so grown up and good for the dentist. Sometimes I just can't believe how big she is.

Also, I will be posting again in the next few days because I get my ultrasound on Wednesday evening. We can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just picture Gwen at the dentist! I don't get to see much of you guys but I love keeping up with what is going on with you by checking your blog-so thanks for that! I'm excited about Wed! I'll be checking here every 20 minutes until you post the news!
Give Gwen a hug from me. Tell Jonathan I hope he feels better soon!
Love, Linda

chrisandlaura96 said...

Leave it to Gwen to be the one and only child who is perfect at the dentist at age two! She's amazing. Can't wait to hear what you guys are having for number two tonight!!! I'll be thinking about it all day long.
-Laura
P.S. Tell Jonathan I'm sorry he's been so sick...